Thursday, August 14, 2008

What to do in the White Mountains?

Random post to my fellow Arizonans: This is my question...

We are going to stay in Pine Top, AZ with my parents coming up here, and I'm trying to research (fairly unsuccessfully) what there is to do in Pine Top, Show Low, the White Mountains, etc. Can some of you recommend anything?

I like to keep my eye out for good hiking trails, beautiful lakes, horse backriding for a good price?, good small town restaurants or candy shops/bakeries, ecclectic shops, local festivals/fairs....

Does anyone have anything to recommend? We can go to other surrounding areas too. We may go to the Snowflake temple, so like I said, we can travel outside Pine Top a little ways...

Let me know!

7 comments:

Bianca said...

There are a lot of cool places to go to on the way. There is a point under the bridge where you can park and walk across the rocks/water. Very cool. Highly recommended. Also if it's not too much out of your way go to Greer and eat at Molly Butler's. It's delish!

paula said...

La Casita Mexican food between Showlow and Pinetop. Yummy. Fool Hollow lake, on the edge of Showlow, nice lake.

Denise said...

We've been up there a number of times but all we ever do is watch Seth run races. So if you want I can have Seth go up there and you can watch him run by once or twice while you sit out in the hot sun trying pass the time away and entertain kids by showing them how much fun dirt can be. It's really fun. ;)

XO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
XO said...

I have absolutely no suggestions, so I probably shouldn't have bothered to comment at all, but I wanted to wish you a fun vacation and to remind you to take pictures so I can live vicariously through you.

Bianca said...

this may be a little late, but i figured i would write it anyway... you know for future reference, this is from a friend of mine from easter aZ:
I am partial to Greer personally. I ate at a really good restaurant called Darbis in Pinetop. For hiking go to Mt. Baldy/Sheeps Crossing which is toward Eagar from Pinetop. That is a good hike. Escudilla Mountain is good too. It is South of Eagar. If they get a chance eat at Molly Butlers in Greer or Charlie Clarks in Pinetop.

Larry and Karri said...

Okay so you're probably already in Pine Top right now, but I can give my full recommendation to the hospital that's in Show Low if you end up needing to go there. (I'm pretty sure that's the one...) Larry broke his collar bone a couple years ago when we were camping in the area and ended up in the ER there. Made for a memorable trip. There's so much more up in the mountains to enjoy besides the hospital though. Have fun. :)