Monday, July 14, 2008

Should I make this two posts or one?

Enjoying the gorgeous sunset from the top of our hike ...

Hmmmm, I was excited to have blogging material all about how we went hiking on South Mountain for the first time with the Bandas on Saturday evening and wondered why we haven't been hiking here the past 2.5 years already, and how Erin impressively carried Chiarra in her Baby Bjorn 7 weeks after having her by C-section, Sean carried a new backpack with 60 pounds in it (!) just to break it in for an upcoming trip, Paul carried Taya in our backpack, and near the end, he carried Taya and little Chiarra with packs on the front and back of him, and I carried --- uhh -- well probably 1/2 pound's worth in Erin's diaper bag. And I was going to tell you all about how we extended our 1 mile plan to 5 miles, even though it was getting really dark, AND I was going to tell you all about our RATTLE SNAKE ENCOUNTER!!! (Paul & Sean saw Bailey, the Banda's dog, reacting to something, which they saw next - a rattle snake slithering across the trail right in front of them! -- They called out to Erin and me to get back, which we did by running and clinging on to each other like babies as we heard the threatening rattle - then we all quietly moved forward on the trail imagining rattle snakes coming out from every next bush, striking our little babies and all, ... okay, maybe only I imagined this?) .......... So like I said, I was going to tell you all about this UNTIL ---

Taya started officially walking yesterday!! This suddenly became much more important to blog about! Paul came in to find me in the Primary room at church yesterday with a big grin on his face and said, 'Um, so Taya's walking now' --- 'What?!' And so then, right there in the very back of the Primary room (lots of extra space) he started having her walk to him. Needless to say we had practiced with her again and again the rest of the day at home, and my parents even came over to witness her new skill (until this point she was taking 2-3 steps at a time, but now she takes 10 at a time and is staying up longer and longer). I know my life is going to change now with her walking, but I don't want to dread a new step that might make some things more challenging, I want to be excited about the many things Taya learns and help her enjoy her new found skills.



I am so grateful for Taya. She is so much fun to be around, and she loves to make people smile. Here she is walking:


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea for Taya! That is so exciting to see them walk for the frist time. I love how happy Paul's voice sounds on the video. Yes, things will change some for the better and some things for the worse :) Loved the mini post of the hike. haha. Sounds like fun fun!

Marie said...

Breanne, are you hiking in Chacos? I love it! If you ever need a hiking buddy, let me know. (actually, maybe wait about 4 months, I'd be a terrible hiking buddy right now.)

Oh, and I witnessed the Primary room walk. It's true everyone, she walks! I think Jana was correct in that Julian must have had a chat with her...

XO said...

HOW EXCITING! I didn't realize how close she was, but she's super sturdy!!! (not like my little suicide diver) And your hiking trip looks like so much fun. I was just wondering to myself which would be harder, to convince Joel to go hiking AND carry Ben up the mountain or just to carry Ben up the mountain myself.

Good for you and good for Erin! Goodness!

Bianca said...

That is awesome! Julian needs to consult w/James. Maybe he and Taya can tell him how to crawl. He's almost there....

Janalee said...

"...but I don't want to dread a new step that might make some things more challenging, I want to be excited about the many things Taya learns and help her enjoy her new found skills."

You always put things so eloquently without even trying.

Kim said...

Yeah for Taya! Zachary is doing the 2-3 step thing right now. But getting more confident everyday.

Isn't hiking with the babies the best?! We love it! Zachary is always pointing at everything. It great to get them out to experience/explore new things.

Kathryn said...

Go Taya!

The Higham Family said...

So cute! I love the first little wobbly steps. Yay for her! And wow- I cant even imagine going hiking with little kiddos. You guys are amazing! I'm glad you were all kept safe from those scary rattlesnakes.

Davis' said...

YAY. I love watching new walkers. They are so cute. She looks great. Your hike sounds awesome. Lots of adventure. and your friend hiking it after only 7 weeks of motherhood. That's awesome.
Thanks for sharing all your fun family stuff.